June 1, 2013

From Gary... The path








I liked the first "dog walk" picture so much that I went back for my noontime walk with Buddy carrying my little point and shoot camera.  Today, the skies were cloudy and I almost didn't do anything, but at the last moment, I changed my mind and started snapping the series of pictures necessary for this panoramic "stitch".  Today, the picture was taken from the opposite side as the first one, so something different seemed to stand out.  That something is the path on the right side of the picture, near the fence.  This path is used daily, whereas the left side doesn't have one because it is rarely accessed.  Thinking about the path, the following passage from the book of Jeremiah came to my mind, as it is one of my favorites...

Jeremiah, Chapter 6
16  Thus says Yahweh, “Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, ‘Where is the good way?’ and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. 

For thousands of years, the God of Heaven has guided mankind.  The book of Hebrews tells us this...

Hebrews, Chapter 1
  1 God, having in the past spoken to the fathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways,  2 has at the end of these days spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom also he made the worlds. 

And now, we are guided by the words of Jesus, who gives us a new path to follow; one of simplicity and humility.  Jesus puts it this way...

John, Chapter 14
 6  Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me. 

The word "way" literally means road, so it is a very small expansion of the idea to say that Jesus is the good path.  If you are on his "path", then you are OK, if not, then you have a problem.  Just think about it; Jesus came to this Earth, taught his disciples and they wrote down what God wanted them to (in their own way, of course).  Why would anyone want to stray in their daily walk (or dog-walk, if you will) to do something else.  Follow the path that Jesus has laid out for us; and only that path.  Friends, family, or religious leaders won't do- its all about Jesus and his words.  Once again, these words from the book of Matthew come to my mind...

Matthew, Chapter 28
 18 Jesus came to them and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth.   19  Go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,   20  teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. 

Just something to think about on a cloudy day; something to REALLY THINK ABOUT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment