August 2, 2013

From Gary... Memorials are important!!!


I have seen this memorial thousands of times, but this is the first time I have ever seen a picture of it.  It is only slightly different than I remember it, because the tribute to those veterans who served in Vietnam wasn't on the monument on the left, when I daily saw this on my way to elementary and high school.  It does bring back memories of my youth- some good and some not-so-good, but all that is "water under the dam" so to speak.  However, remembering the sacrifice that our soldiers have made to keep us free is worth the time and effort on our part!!!   Memories are like that- in a way, they make us what we are; they are memorials to the life we have lived.  Here is a memorial that is worth remembering...

Matthew, Chapter 26

 19  The disciples did as Jesus commanded them, and they prepared the Passover.  20 Now when evening had come, he was reclining at the table with the twelve disciples.  21 As they were eating, he said, “Most certainly I tell you that one of you will betray me.” 

  22  They were exceedingly sorrowful, and each began to ask him, “It isn’t me, is it, Lord?” 

  23  He answered, “He who dipped his hand with me in the dish, the same will betray me.   24  The Son of Man goes, even as it is written of him, but woe to that man through whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would be better for that man if he had not been born.” 

  25  Judas, who betrayed him, answered, “It isn’t me, is it, Rabbi?” 

He said to him, “You said it.” 

  26  As they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks for it, and broke it. He gave to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.”   27 He took the cup, gave thanks, and gave to them, saying, “All of you drink it,   28  for this is my blood of the new covenant, which is poured out for many for the remission of sins.   29  But I tell you that I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on, until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father’s Kingdom.”   30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. 


Celebrating the "Lord's supper" is a remembrance of what Christ has done for us.  It is an acknowledgement that God has made a covenant with us so that our sins are forgiven.  His life for our life- a really personal thing and something that was very difficult for HIM to do.  Now, I know the Bible says that we all have sinned, yet in spite of this God's one and only sacrifice remains valid.  It is up to us to remember its significance and to TRY TO HUMBLY DO THE BEST WE CAN DO TO SERVE GOD WITH OUR WHOLE HEART!!!  The memorial in the picture resides in Schaghticoke, New York and for one reason or another may not be there in future ages to come, but Jesus, the risen Christ of God lives forever. The only question that remains is: will those of us who call ourselves Christians remember what it cost for us to be free from the penalty of sin and do everything we can to be faithful???  Don't forget to remember, memorials are important!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment