August 16, 2013

From Gary... Not just for babies...






It has been many decades since my own children did the "baby talk" routine, but I don't remember any exchange like this!!!  The thing is... they seem to really understand one another.  I don't, but based on their leg motions, I am guessing that it has something to do with walking.  I realize that I will never REALLY KNOW what they are saying, but at least I am trying- and that is the important part, isn't it???  Face it, people hear what they want to hear, when the want to hear and how they want to hear it.  Here is an exchange that illustrates this point...

John, Chapter 8


 23  He said to them, “You are from beneath. I am from above. You are of this world. I am not of this world.   24  I said therefore to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am  he, you will die in your sins.” 

  25  They said therefore to him, “Who are you?” 

Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been saying to you from the beginning.   26  I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you. However he who sent me is true; and the things which I heard from him, these I say to the world.” 

  27  They didn’t understand that he spoke to them about the Father.  28 Jesus therefore said to them,“When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and I do nothing of myself, but as my Father taught me, I say these things.   29  He who sent me is with me. The Father hasn’t left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.” 

  30  As he spoke these things, many believed in him.  31 Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples.   32  You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”  

  33  They answered him, “We are Abraham’s seed, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How do you say, ‘You will be made free’ ?” 

  34  Jesus answered them, “Most certainly I tell you, everyone who commits sin is the bondservant of sin.   35  A bondservant doesn’t live in the house forever. A son remains forever.   36  If therefore the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.   37  I know that you are Abraham’s seed, yet you seek to kill me, because my word finds no place in you.   38  I say the things which I have seen with my Father; and you also do the things which you have seen with your father.” 

  39  They answered him, “Our father is Abraham.” 

Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham.   40  But now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God. Abraham didn’t do this.   41  You do the works of your father.” 

They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father, God.” 

  42  Therefore Jesus said to them, “If God were your father, you would love me, for I came out and have come from God. For I haven’t come of myself, but he sent me.   43  Why don’t you understand my speech? Because you can’t hear my word.   44  You are of your father, the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and doesn’t stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks on his own; for he is a liar, and its father.   45  But because I tell the truth, you don’t believe me. 


Some people can't hear because they don't want to hear.  And often this is because their heart is darkened by sin.  Sin blinds, it deafens, it replaces reason with irrationality and stubbornness.  If even babies who really want to talk can understand one another, why can't the adults???  Perhaps we can all learn a lesson from these small ones, and that lesson is innocence. May God give us all an open heart and the ability to really understand HIS Word!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment