September 14, 2013

From Gary.... Crossing the divide


Simple picture and message; there is a difference between the waters- One is muddy, the other no.  As far as human understand goes, we like to see everyone the same (sort of like that small mixture of the two rivers). God doesn't see people that way.  His judgement as far as heaven goes is... either you are in or not!!!  Jesus uses a parable to explain this and it is well worth your time to both read and understand its message...

Luke, Chapter 16
 19  “Now there was a certain rich man, and he was clothed in purple and fine linen, living in luxury every day.   20  A certain beggar, named Lazarus, was laid at his gate, full of sores,   21  and desiring to be fed with the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. Yes, even the dogs came and licked his sores.   22  The beggar died, and he was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died, and was buried.   23  In Hades, he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far off, and Lazarus at his bosom.   24  He cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue! For I am in anguish in this flame.’ 

  25  “But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that you, in your lifetime, received your good things, and Lazarus, in the same way, bad things. But now here he is comforted and you are in anguish.   26 Besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, that those who want to pass from here to you are not able, and that no one may cross over from there to us.’ 

  27  “He said, ‘I ask you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house;   28  for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, so they won’t also come into this place of torment.’ 

  29  “But Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.’ 

  30  “He said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 

  31  “He said to him, ‘If they don’t listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if one rises from the dead.’” 

Life can be easy or it can be hard.  The rich man had it easy in this life, but didn't listen to Moses and the Prophets.  He paid the price (verses 25, 26).  I am sorry for him, but he made his choices.  Awaiting the end, he pleads for his family, but God tells him that they should listen to Moses and Prophets.  Even sending someone back from the dead would avail nothing.  Spiritual life is about listening- listening to what God has to tell you and then doing it to the best of your ability.  Those who wish to cross over the divide between the muddy waters of human reason to the clear flowing blessings of God, need only to hear what God has to say to you (through his word) and do it.  Jesus puts it this way...

John, Chapter 12
 44  Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me, believes not in me, but in him who sent me.  45  He who sees me sees him who sent me.   46  I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in the darkness.   47  If anyone listens to my sayings, and doesn’t believe, I don’t judge him. For I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.   48  He who rejects me, and doesn’t receive my sayings, has one who judges him. The word that I spoke, the same will judge him in the last day.   49  For I spoke not from myself, but the Father who sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.   50  I know that his commandment is eternal life. The things therefore which I speak, even as the Father has said to me, so I speak.” 

Gary- Are you listening  yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment