November 18, 2013

From Gary... Spiritual-hood


As you know, I am retired.  But that does NOT mean I do not remember what it means to be a kid (some say that I still am).  How true this picture is!!!  And I wanted to be "king of the hill" and chosen on the first round for basketball, and baseball too!!!   Lets just say for a moment, that I never did grow up?  What would I be like at 64 years young?  I would probably care only for myself, not think about managing what money I have and do everything I could to break every rule I came in contact with.  Also, I would probably believe anything anybody told me, as long as it was done in a convincing manner and accept gossip as truth.  I would eat too much, stay up too late and never, ever eat my vegetables.  Sadly, I don't fill the bill.  I wouldn't even know how to begin to be a kid again.  But what about my thinking?  Humm, sounds like a good place to read from the Bible, doesn't it?...


1 Corinthians, Chapter 13
 10 but when that which is complete has come, then that which is partial will be done away with.  11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child. Now that I have become a man, I have put away childish things.  12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, even as I was also fully known.  13 But now faith, hope, and love remain—these three. The greatest of these is love.

Rules, regulations, deadlines, responsibilities; the stuff of adulthood.  But, I wonder, is it possible to GROW UP - OUT OF ADULTHOOD???  Not everyone who has achieved the status of being over, say... 30 is an adult.  But, I think those who have incorporated love as the driving force in their lives have gone beyond just mere adulthood.  They have reached Spiritual-hood (OK, I made that one up).  It is something to strive for, and if you succeed at it, you can still play, joke and do silly things from time to time.  No, wait- that is old age; or is it?  Well, got to go, anyone want to play a nice game of Scrabble, or how about tic-tac-toe?  You want to go to the playground instead???? Really???  I suppose you are going to try to do that 360- aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment