April 13, 2014

From Gary... "I'm sorry"






























Have you ever met that sort of person who delights in doing something mean or demeaning to others and then says: "I'm sorry", but does it again and again and again.  After awhile you realize that the words "I'm sorry" really mean nothing at all- they are just for show. But what about the person who does something wrong, says "I'm sorry" and then changes- what then???? And what if what was done was really horrendous!!! Do you believe them, or is there that lingering doubt in your mind?  And then we come to the book of 1st Corinthians, followed by 2nd Corinthians...
2 Corinthians, Chapter 7
8  For though I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it, though I did regret it. For I see that my letter made you sorry, though just for a while.  9 I now rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that you were made sorry to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly way, that you might suffer loss by us in nothing.  10 For godly sorrow works repentance to salvation, which brings no regret. But the sorrow of the world works death. 

Someone who called themselves a Christian actually engaged in sex with his father's wife- now that is bad by ANY STANDARD!!!   Paul writes 1st Corinthians and rebukes both that person (for doing it) and the church there (for tolerating it). And they listened!!!  The message that they received was acted upon and all of them changed.  I can only imagine all the fuss and PAIN all this engendered!!!  But, through it all- THEY CHANGED!!!  After all, this is what Christians are supposed to do, isn't it!!! Saying "I'm sorry" is easy enough- most people can do that without a problem.  But ACTUALLY CHANGING- THAT IS THE STUFF OF TRUE REPENTANCE, WHICH LEADS TO SALVATION!!!!  Something to think about, the next time you hear someone say "I'm sorry"!!!!! 
Think this doesn't have anything to do with you, well, maybe it doesn't, but then again, maybe it will.  I mean, someone MAY hurt you and say "I'm sorry" and what do you do then? Forgive and keep on forgiving until its obvious that the offender deliberately will not change and then follow the Biblical example found in 1st Corinthians.  If you just happen to be the perpetrator- change what you were doing and mean it, for the way of repentance leads to heaven!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment