May 16, 2014

From Gary... First of all...

When I view this sign, I think of solders in foxholes, making packs with God in exchange for deliverance from certain death. Why then? Frankly, I think that when we come face-to-face with our own true helplessness in the here-and-now, we remember that there is someone greater than ourselves; someone who really has control over EVERYTHING!!!  And then the following came to mind...
1 Timothy, Chapter 2 (NASB)
1Ti 2:1  First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men,
1Ti 2:2  for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.
1Ti 2:3  This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,

1 Timothy, Chapter 1 (NASB)
1Ti 1:15  It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.
1Ti 1:16  Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.
1Ti 1:17  Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
 
What we pray for, or rather, what we pray ABOUT, says a great deal about us. Paul says our prayers should be for others (2:1) above.  This is interesting to me, as in light of 1:15.  Paul, that paragon of faith, considered himself to be the foremost sinner. It is a bit humbling to think of this and then of our own life.  If Paul could think this about about himself, then what should we be thinking about?  Our own state, the well-being of others and GOD!!!  Notice, in both passages, that Paul's thoughts turn back to God.  Hummm...  sounds a familiar; I think I saw a sign somewhere that said that....????

No comments:

Post a Comment