April 13, 2015

From Jim McGuiggan... Ethel's curls and my sincerity


Ethel's curls and my sincerity

One of the lower level irritations of living with my Ethel is that she won't eat her crusts so when I bring her the tea and toast I have to cut the crusts off the bread. I keep telling her what every child knows and has been told at least since I was a kid: "If you don't eat your crusts your hair won't grow curly."
That not everyone wants curly hair is beside the point; over and over and over again I keep telling Ethel what I just told you I tell her. [Not that I'm a nag, don't you understand.]
In any case, she simply won't do it, says she doesn't like them; they're too hard, especially when they're toasted.
Now take me, I always eat the crusts and have done it since I was a child.
There's…um…the matter of Ethel's hair though. It's…um…a mass of curls. Then there's mine. It's…er…it's a mass of baldness and what isn't bald is straight as an uncooked spaghetti noodle.
I don't understand it because I'm as sincere as the day is long.
I have heard from some quarters that eating crusts doesn't guarantee curly hair and that not eating them doesn't guarantee straight hair but it's hard for me to go against what I've always believed.
And anyway, I've always believed it didn't matter what you believe as long as you're sincere.
Um…you don't suppose truth matters, do you?
©2004 Jim McGuiggan. All materials are free to be copied and used as long as money is not being made.
Many thanks to brother Ed Healy, for allowing me to post from his website, theabidingword.com

No comments:

Post a Comment