September 13, 2019

A time for... by Gary Rose




About 11 pm last night, I took the garbage out before heading off to bed and I noticed something – the air seemed cooler and the humidity was lower. Then, when I went into the house to check the temperature, my weather applet told me that it was still seventy nine outside. I actually forgot for a moment that I was in Florida. I remember growing up in upstate New York, where we had three seasons, Summer, Fall and Winter. Down here, Summer has two parts; hot, wet and sticky and then Hurricane season. Winter also has two parts; a little cooler and then somewhat cold and everything turns brown. Spring; well, early spring it gets a little warmer and everything turns green, and late Spring rain and more rain and it begins to get hot.
Even though I may categorize the seasons into six divisions down here, in reality, I will always remember them as being three. Why? Well, that’s what I grew up with. That great wise man, Solomon, put it this way…


Ecclesiastes 3 ( World English Bible )
1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven:2 a time to be born,
and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 a time to kill,
and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up; 
4 a time to weep,
and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5a time to cast away stones,
and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 a time to seek,
and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 a time to tear,
and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 a time to love,
and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace. 


In a way, it really doesn’t matter what I think of the seasons of nature, they will be, just like all the other patterns under heaven. What is important is that human beings need to accept the God-ordained cycles of things and then contemplate the one who set them in order in the first place.

Now, that is wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment