November 15, 2019

Piglet's wisdom by Gary Rose



I remember my mother telling me as kid: “You keep talking like that and
and I’m going to wash your mouth out with soap” - and she did. I got the message very quickly; be careful what you say around Mom!

Many years later, I learned from the Bible that I should be careful what I say ALL THE TIME. This was a lot harder, because God is always watching and I didn’t want to offend HIM. When I think about this sort of thing, immediately, I think of what the apostle James has to say…


James 1 World English Bible )
[19] So, then, my beloved brothers, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger;
James 3 ( WEB )
[1] Let not many of you be teachers, my brothers, knowing that we will receive heavier judgment. [2] For in many things we all stumble. If anyone doesn’t stumble in word, the same is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body also. [3] Indeed, we put bits into the horses’ mouths so that they may obey us, and we guide their whole body. [4] Behold, the ships also, though they are so big and are driven by fierce winds, are yet guided by a very small rudder, wherever the pilot desires.
[5] So the tongue is also a little member, and boasts great things. See how a small fire can spread to a large forest! [6] And the tongue is a fire. The world of iniquity among our members is the tongue, which defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature, and is set on fire by Gehenna.* or, Hell [7] For every kind of animal, bird, creeping thing, and thing in the sea, is tamed, and has been tamed by mankind. [8] But nobody can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. [9] With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who are made in the image of God. [10] Out of the same mouth comes forth blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. [11] Does a spring send out from the same opening fresh and bitter water? [12] Can a fig tree, my brothers, yield olives, or a vine figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh water.


I am not exactly sure who is talking in the picture, but my best guess is piglet; and he is right! Keeping your mouth shut is an accomplishment. It is an accomplishment when people provoke you, call you names, belittle you before others and show their hate of you in everything they do. Normal people Christians just don’t around using profanity or other hateful speech on consistent basis. We are to think before we speak; consider our actions when provoked. Jesus said:

Matthew 5 ( WEB )
[38] “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ [39] But I tell you, don’t resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. [40] If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. [41] Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. [42] Give to him who asks you, and don’t turn away him who desires to borrow from you.


Let the goodness in you speak for you, endeavor to be perfect in everything and if you have a problem with what you say, pray that God will work on your heart and then you will be more able to work on your mouth.

Are you listening, Gary?

No comments:

Post a Comment