August 25, 2021

Peace by Gary Rose




This dog ( quite possibly a Golden Retriever ) looks as content as content can be. So content in fact, that it can let a butterfly rest on its nose. And where does that contentment come from? My guess is that it comes from the presence of its master, on whose leg it is leaning upon.


During the past week or so, we have been hearing of practically nothing but the situation in Afghanistan. Due to the ineptitude of our “Commander-in-chief” many lives are in danger, for the situation may turn from dangerous to disastrous, very, very soon. Our citizens there may be taken hostage ( possibly by the thousands ), tortured, or killed. From past history of their handing of captives, it is possible that they may die a gruesome death.


All these things are unsettling to say the least. However, for those of us who are Christians, even the worst death imaginable is not the end, but rather a beginning. Then I remembered the following passage from the book of John…


John 14 ( American Standard Version [1901] )

1, Let not your heart be troubled: believe in God, believe also in me.

2, In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.

3, And if I go and prepare a place for you, I come again, and will receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

4, And whither I go, ye know the way.

5, Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; how know we the way?

6, Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.


Today, I chose the A.S.V. because somehow its translation seemed to emphasize the meaning of John in a most elegant manner, and amid turmoil, a little elegance goes a long way.


You know, regardless of the circumstances- Jesus is always the answer. Who he is and what he has done for us is comforting- whatever the situation.


Again, that picture comes to mind. There is peace as long as our master is nearby. Come to think of it, I found myself thinking of the hymn “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms” and thought you might like to listen to it.

Here is the link…

https://www.barnold.us/Garyrose/CBR%202.0/4%20Aids/5%20Singing/Congregational%20Singing/Leaning%20on%20the%20Everlasting%20Arms.mp3


or, if you prefer, in quartet format, with sheet music..

https://www.barnold.us/Garyrose/CBR%202.0/4%20Aids/5%20Singing/A%20Cappella%20Videos/Leaning%20on%20the%20Everlasting%20Arms%20-%20A%20Cappella%20Hymn-lneA46frKT4-248+251.webm


Just paste either link into your browser, listen, and may you have peace and encouragement in these trying times!

No comments:

Post a Comment